This is the opening event for Big Dance 2012 in West London.
There will be three stages, a pop-up cinema and food stalls, so you can bring your own picnic or pick up something when you arrive. Everything is free but you will need a ticket to watch the film and claim your free seat to sit on. You might get a ticket on the door but to be safe get one online from the bottom of this page. Come and enjoy.
- JAY KUMAR, London’s ‘top Bollywood dance entertainer’ who will MC the event together with his dance company which will perform Bollywood dance routines to popular Bollywood music
- THE CONEDANCERS A 21st Century Maypole
Created in 2005, an air-filled cone eight metres high creates a new stage for an extraordinary aerial performance. With four axes of rotation we have created a choreography in the Dream Engine tradition of being unique and unusual. Acrobatic and upbeat but also passionate and moving. The Conedancers is performed to an original score and computer-driven LED lighting effects.
- Live music and dance from LONDON SCHOOL OF SAMBA.
London School of Samba is the UK’s original Samba School with a rich history dating back to 1984. They have taught Samba drumming and dancing to over 26,000 individuals and have performed for over 1.5 million people.
- BIG DANCE BUS with its’ own troupes of dancers. This quirky double-decker Routemaster is the ultimate pop-up ballroom and ready-made rave, complete with dance-floor, pumping sound system, compere and DJ.
- Pop-up outdoor cinema screening of GREASE(PG) . Beforehand Theatre Workout will be on hand to teach people the moves and the dances so they can join in.
Collect or obtain a ticket for the GREASE Pop-up Cinema from the INFORMATION COLLECTION POINT in Lampton Park, Hounslow. TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE
Currently the programme for the evening looks like this:
7.00 Celtic Dance Group
7.15 London School of Samba
7.45 Dance Asia
7.55 Jay Kumar - Bollywood interactive Workshop
8.10 Dance Asia
Big Dance Bus Stage
7.00 Resident Company performance
7.10 Hula Workshop
7.35 Wayne McGregor workshop
8.00 Zumba Workshop
8.25 Swing Workshop
8.50 Party Dance!
8.50 Condancers (lit up)
9.05 Theatre Workout - Grease Workshop
9.20 Film screening - Grease
This FREE event is part of Big Dance and the London 2012 Outdoor Arts Festival
Location: Lampton Park, Hounslow TW3
How to get to Lampton Park
Bus: 120, H20, 111, H91
Please consult tfl.gov.uk for other route maps.
Tube: Hounslow Central on the Piccadilly Line which is a 3 minute walk.
Accessibility For Lampton
The Site of the Performance
- Lampton Park is a primarily flat outdoor space made up of large areas of grass as well as tarmac paths that create routes around the park.
- There are a number of flower beds and trees along the tarmac paths but they do not cause an obstruction.
- There are some benches situated around the paths.
- The main entrance to the park is on Lampton Road which is a busy road at times.
Disabled Toilet Access
- The Civic Centre is next to the park where you can find disabled toilets (please see the map).
- There will also be an accessible portable toilet on site.
- The nearest Tube to Lampton Park is Hounslow central, which is a five minute walk.
- The nearest accessible tubes are Hounslow East or Hounslow West.
- At Hounslow East the step between the platform and the train is 51- 120mm and the gap between the platform and the train is 0- 85mm.
- At Hounslow West the step between the platform and the train is 121- 323mm and the gap between the train and the platform is 0- 85mm.
There is no direct bus route from Hounslow East to Lampton Park- to walk will take an average of 15 minutes. The route bus H91 from Hounslow West takes an average of 16 minutes.
Bus routes to Lampton Park:
Please click on the link below or consult tfl.gov.uk for other route maps.
- There will be disabled parking available for this event.
- The disabled parking area is located on the corner of Covelly Road and Lampton Road (Please see the map below).
- A steward will be onsite to direct you on the day of the event. ???
- From the disabled car park to the main park entrance is a short five minute walk along Lampton Road.
- There will be an air-filled cone 8 meters high with aerial performances on.
- There will be a Bus with a 10x10 dance floor with performances and workshops on.
- A fenced of area in the park, where there will be a cinema screen showing Greece at 21.00
- Sapnay – a professional Bollywood dance group will be performing.
- There will be a Samba band performing around the park.
- This is likely to be a noisy and busy event and there will be large crowds.
- Whilst there will be large crowds, Lampton park also has a good amount of open space.
- All the performances will be in the central grass area of the park.
- This area is flat and close to tarmac paths.
- There will be a reserved viewing area for wheelchair users and benches available for those less able to stand.